Onwards with Welsh
Online Welsh lessons for second language learners in years 12 and 13
Welsh Government are eager for young people aged 16-25 to continue to receive Welsh lessons after completing their GCSEs.
The aim of Ymlaen Gyda’r Dysgu / Onwards with Welsh is to provide Welsh lessons to 16-18 year olds, in years 12 and 13 who do not want to continue studying Level A Welsh Second Language. The offer is mainly for learners, but also for the mother tongue students who feel they need a bit more of a boost with their linguistic skills.
National Centre for Learning Welsh (NCLW) are collaborating with e-sgol on the project with NCLW tutors providing the sessions.
The second pilot of the project is running in Powys and Ceredigion during the Summer Term 2023 before expanding throughout Wales by September 2023.
What the learners thought
“I like the course because I can speak Welsh with a kind teacher. Also, with the Welsh language, you can make new friends, develop new skills, and have fun.”
Tomos, year 12 pupil who took the Onwards with Welsh course during the Autumn Term, 2022.
How does Onwards with Welsh work?
- 6 sessions during the Summer term 2023.
- 1 session per week online to students Year 12 and/or Year 13.
- National Centre for Learning Welsh tutors providing the lessons.
- Sessions are available to Powys and Ceredigion schools during the Summer Term. If you are in a school in another county in Wales, sessions will be available in September 2023.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest.
- Certificate and e-sgol pack to celebrate the students’ success.
To sign up for Ymlaen Gyda’r Dysgu / Onwards with Welsh Summer Term 2023, fill this short form, and we’ll be in touch soon.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Onwards with Welsh (Ymlaen Gyda’r Dysgu)?
The Onwards with Welsh (Ymlaen Gyda’r Dysgu) project provides online sessions for second language learners in years 12 and 13 who do not want to continue studying Level A Welsh Second Language. The offer is mainly for learners, but also for the mother tongue students who feel they need a bit more of a boost with their linguistic skills. The project ran in Powys in the Autumn term 2022, and will run again in the summer term to Powys and Ceredigion schools before being available all over Wales in September 2023.
How often are the sessions?
The sessions will be held once a week, at a time that suits most pupils.
How do the sessions work?
Pupils will join a Teams meeting using their Hwb email address, whilst in a dedicated room at their school. A National Centre for Learning Welsh Tutor will teach the sessions.
What are the advantages of following the Onwards with Welsh (Ymlaen Gyda’r Dysgu) course?
- This is a great opportunity for second language learners to continue to learn Welsh or further develop their confidence.
- Learners who understand more than one language can think more creatively and with more flexibility.
- Employers looking for more staff who can speak both of our nation’s official languages.
- On average, bilingual people earn between 8 and 10% additional salary because of their ability to work in two languages.
How can I put my name forward for Onwards with Welsh (Ymlaen Gyda’r Dysgu)?
Fill this short form to get your name down, and we’ll be in touch soon!
Any other questions?
If you have any other questions or want a chat, get in touch with Siwan on email@example.com